Thursday, 29 January 2009

Booze and Books

I had forgotten just how much I loved boozy weekends with the lovely Tomato and attending cultural events like the book launch of DJ Kirkby's fab biography 'From Zaftig to Aspie' (I know it's fab cause I've already started it!!) and her partner Christopher I King's exciting thriller 'Motorbikes, ducks and crispy sweet apples' (Click on the names to visit their blogs and the titles to buy the books)

God it was nice to see Tom...and nice to know that we're not going to have to wait another year for a get together!!. We had so much fun....he introduced us to a couple of really nice oldy worldy pubs, we had a nosey round Croydon's food market (I was thrilled....there is an Asian supermarket there which sells Pomello which means I can make Moon's Pomello Salad.....I'm sure I can bribe Tom to bring one up with him....the promise of a few glasses of wine will probably do it!!), we tried a new wine bar and had Champagne (well, we'd not seen Tom in a while and it would have been rude not to!!), we had yummy food and even had a few games of pool (Chris and Tom....not me!!). Lots of laughing was done and it was a shame that Chris had to head back to Swindon on Sunday (2nd week in work he couldn't really ask for a day off!!) but I stayed on with Tom so that the two of us could travel to Portsmouth on Monday to attend the book launch.

After a stupidly late night (and a rather large amount of wine!!) Tom and I arrived in Portsmouth feeling slightly jaded and absolutely ravenous!! We checked into our hotel, had some lunch and then decided to do some exploring. I've never been to Portsmouth before and I was very impressed with what I saw.....both Tom and I thoroughly enjoyed our meander along the sea front (even if I could no longer feel my hands or my nose)...the views were stunning!! By the time we got back to the hotel I really did look windswept and interesting (ok, perhaps not interesting but definately windswept!!)




The launch was absolutely fantastic!! DJ was exactly how I thought she would be....a truly beautiful woman both inside and out!! She gave me a wonderful warm welcome when I walked in the door (I know that was not easy for you DJ and that made it very special for me). I had done a wee drawing for her based on things she has written about on her blog and I have to say that I was very relieved (and thrilled) that she liked it (It's so nerve wracking giving a drawing as a present!!). It was also wonderful meeting so many other bloggers in person *waves hi* and I now even have some news ones to add to my blog roll!!

Chris (a.k.a. Chopper) was the first to face us and he did a very funny introduction to his novel (Seriously, he should do stand up comedy!!) then read us an excerpt from 'Motorbikes, ducks and sweet crispy apples'....I was completely hooked!! The part he read involved the escape from a murder scene and I felt myself holding my breath along with his character as he made his way to the car, eased it out the drive and attempted to leave the scene without making a sound. It's going to be a page turner!! Then DJ gave us an amazing insight into what life is like living with Aspergers and the struggle she has everyday....she expressed herself wonderfully!! I was captivated by her reading...she has the amazing ability to catapult you into a time and a place so vivid that you feel as if you were there. This is a book not to be missed!!

And, as if all that was not enough, we were privileged to witness the one off performance of 'Shrek Rap' which was written by Blogger Casdok and performed by Daren Callow. It is a wonderful piece of writing and a recording has been made which you can view here.

The following day after checking out of our hotel Tom and I decided to go and visit Spinnaker Tower (we figured that it would be a shame not to see some of the sights whilst we were there). Spinnaker Tower is an amazing building comprising of three viewing platforms that look out over the sea. It was a cold but clear day and we could see for miles...the views were stunning!! Neither of us were very happy about walking over the glass floor (aparently the largest in Europe) but we both thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Portsmouth!!

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you defied the rubbished weather last weekend. Did you have as much fun trying to take a picture of Spinnaker Tower as I did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily - I am rather pleased to be able to say that the picture of Spinnaker on the blog is the one I took :-). We had stunning weather...it was cold but the sun was shining and the sky was blue...all you can ask really!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that with so much going on you cannot have had time to miss Thailand yet. Lucky you - getting to DJ's book launch must have been great.I have a copy here but I haven't yet had time to read it (I've retreated into my study manuals to try and get this essay knocked out.

    You seem to be having a great time, Carol and I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah sweetie, you were missed at the embassy party tonight. I am glad you're filling your time having boozy parties elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you wrote about DJ's launch. I was so sad to have had to miss it, and you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. French Fancy - I'm trying to keep busy but I have to admit that when I have a quiet time....

    DJ's launch was brilliant..she is just as lovely in person as she is on her blog :-)

    Good luck with your studying

    JJ - Was that tonight?? Blimey, time passes fast doesn't it. I hope you had a lovely time hon

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. SueG - Sorry Sue....you snuck in there!!

    I didn't get back to Swindon till yesterday afternoon so today was the first opportunity I had to write about it.

    You were missed...it would have been great to finally meet you...never mind...I'm sure we will have plenty of other opportunities :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great few days you had. The launch sounded great and wish I could have made it.

    Love the photos - the tower one is fab. I grew up down that way but haven't been back for years. Maybe this year:-)

    btw, I'm so glad to hear you're just as busy and buzzy here as you were in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh not sure what I did wrong there Mr Blogger. cannot see delete button. Never mind:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you hit the ground running, and a good time is had! I have been to Portsmouth a few times and I think it is much nicer than many people say! Best wishes Blu xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya you two. Tis BT The Crafty Gardener here, her with all the untidy unruly curly hair all over the place at the book launch. Wasn't it a great night? I had a fabulous time and had to drag myself away to catch the train. Now I have loads of bloggers to add to my ever growing list!

    Love
    Gina
    #xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Argh I posted a comment and it is gone! I wanted to say it was lovely to meet you and to thank you for posting about our launch. I loved the drawing you did for me, in fact I bawled when I saw it. Chris has put it up in our living room so I can look at it from my reading spot. I will post about the launch on Sunday and put up a link to the photos etc. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was so fantastic to meet you. Book launches are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was sorry to miss the book launch, and it certainly sounds as if everyone had a fab time.

    I'm loving DJ's book, I can't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lane - The launch was great and really helped me feel like we are starting to get settled here!! I had been feeling a bit low, missing everyone in Thailand, missing the splats and living out a suitcase but seeing Tom and going to the launch really cheered me up :-).

    I had no idea you grew up around that area...I thought it was stunning (I will definately go back with Chris to do some exploring!!)

    Blu - I'm not one to hang around!! I've already done some research and there is an art group in Malmesbury which I'm planning to join :-)

    BT - Welcome!! I had a great time at the launch and it was really lovely to meet you!! I shall be adding your blog to my blogroll :-)

    DJ - Thank you for inviting me....both Tom and I had a wonderful time!! I'm so glad you liked the picture and I love the thought of you being able to see it from your reading spot *grins*. It was great meeting you and I am loving the book :-)

    Helen - They certainly are :-))

    Debs - It was a shame you couldn't make it as it really would have been nice to meet you...next time!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.