Friday, 23 January 2009

We've got the house!!

Woooo hoooooo!!!!!I'm so excited!!! The landlord has accepted the offer we made (which is great cause it is less than he was asking for) and, all going well with all the checks and stuff (we're a bit worried about our references. Chris got paid in Thailand so has not had salary cheques going into his UK account for two and a half years), hopefully.....we should be moving in on the 31st!!

You've all been asking for more details so here goes (you've been warned!!)

The front door actually takes you straight into the kitchen so the main entrance way is through the back door. (There is a public right of way so you walk past everyone elses back doors to get to ours). When you first walk in there is a decent sized room that has a wood burning stove in a beautiful brick fireplace and a lovely terracotta coloured tiled floor. The previous people used this as their living room but we've decided that we will use it as a dining room if we didn't then we wouldn't have one and it makes sense as it's right next to the kitchen!! You can see from the photo's what the kitchen is like....I love the wide bit at the window but it will be a bit odd watching people walk past as we're doing the dishes!!

From the ground floor you go upstairs (which are between the dining room and kitchen) and there is a little landing. Go up one step to the left and that takes you into a stunning wooden floored room with a large window that looks out over the garden....it also has a gorgeous wrought iron fireplace which we think is a working fire (this is not the actual one but it looks similar). This was originally a bedroom but we're going to turn it into the living room...the light in there is fab and we want to make the best use of all the rooms (We had one bedroom in Bangkok that we hardly ever went into). Back onto the landing....one step up to the right and your onto another wee landing which has stairs going up to the next level on the left and on the right there is a good sized brand new bathroom which looks very fresh - all blue and white.

Up the next lot of stairs (blimey, I'm getting tired just writing about all those stairs!!) and there are two good sized bedrooms. The biggest one we're going to use as our bedroom (no surprises there!!) and the other one we're going to turn into a study/drawing room and guest bedroom. (It has a very funky wee window in the left hand corner of the room)

So there you have it....grand plans....god, I hope it all works out!!!

24 comments:

  1. Woo hoo is right! Congrats. Now we can really say "welcome home!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue - Thanks hon....I really am ridiculously excited about it!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you. I can sense your anticipatory pleasure just oozing from your blog. We're also over three floors and it sure stops one getting desk bound. Lots more details please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Carol, how exciting. I'm so pleased for you. Don't forget to let us know what you get with the vouchers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. French Fancy - LOL!! I'm not sure there is much more I can tell you about the house...I will, however, take loads of pictures once (I'm thinking positive here) we get it!!

    I'm currently doing research on the actual town

    JJ - I know...I spent some time yesterday online looking at furniture!! It will take us a while to get it the way we want it since we don't even have a bed or sofa yet but we'll get there :-)

    We've got an idea of what we're going to get but I'm not telling till we have made a final decision (and that won't be till we are actually in the house)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds just perfect. Can't wait to see photos and see how you decorate it!
    Which room will you be drawing in?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long will your rental be for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lane - I'm having to try very hard not to get carried away!!

    I shall be drawing in the one with the wee window on the 3rd floor. It will ensure I get some exercise as I will have to alllll the way down to the ground floor to make a cuppa :-)

    French Fancy - We are going to sign a years lease with a six month get out clause and the option to extend for a 2nd year :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course it will all work out. The house sounds delightful and I'll bet you'll both be very happy there.

    Many congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds really lovely. On our house plan it said "drawing room" but since we can't draw (well not properly) we use it as a "lounge".

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh your new house sounds gorgeous! Will link to this new blog from my sidebar so I don't miss any posts. I feel a bit weird deleting the link to your old blog though. See you Monday!!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debs - I'm thinking positive!! The village sounds fab too...loads of stuff to do!!

    Troy - I'm doing the opposite...turning a bedroom into a drawing room :-)

    DJ - I know...it felt really weird starting a new one. It's all empty but I'm sure that will change!!

    I can't wait to meet you...I am even more excited about that than I am about the house (and that's saying something!!)

    Have a wonderful weekend and don't worry...the launch will be superb!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of love and luck in your new home. It looks good, it sounds good and I hope by golly it is good!

    Blu xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back to Blighty! Hope the refs go well and you get settled soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I didn't realize you were going back to the UK. It'll be a big difference from Bangkok. I'll miss reading your Bangkok adventures, but I'll probably be following along soon and heading back to the US. What with the political mess in Thailand, the constant human rights violations, and the fact I can make more money in the US, I think my almost-6-years in Thailand are soon going to come to an end. Good luck with everything and glad you got the house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The house sounds great. Look forward to hearing more about your settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blu - Awww, thanks honey!! It feels right so hopefully everything will go to plan and we'll be happy (There is even an art society that I am planning to join!!)

    Tam - It's hard to believe we're back but in the same respect part of me feels as if we never left!!

    Britinbangkok - It's completely different to Bangkok...heheh the town we will, hopefully be moving to only has a population of 6,000...there is no bugger there!!!

    I think we're probably going to drive everyone nuts with comments starting 'When we were in Bangkok....'.

    French Fancy - Ooooh, lovely a tag...will pop over to see what I need to do :-)

    Helen - It is...I am so stupidly excited about it!!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Came her from French Fancy. Congratulations. I know Thailand well and spent a lot of time in the UK as a sportswriter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations. I hate house hunting so I am very pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. David - Welcome and thanks for leaving a comment (Will pop over to yours in a moment)

    Lily - The checks went through, we should get the keys on Friday and actually move in on Saturday...*squeal*

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds lovely, Carol. I'm sure you'll both be very happy there. Happy Moving In Day!

    As for people walking past the kitchen, you'll get used to it and it can be quite nice and help creativity sometimes as well. The Centenary Way walk goes right past our kitchen and my study windows, regular passers by glance in and wave, dogs demand that I open the window and stroke them (but birds fly in if I leave windows too widely open). You probably won't get sheep looking in as I do, but, hey, you can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm believing it's all going to work out perfectly! Congrats on POTD!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pat - Thanks hon :-)

    I never thought of it like that....I doubt we'll get sheep (we're not near a field but I guess stranger things have happened!!).

    Poutalicious - We were told yesterday that we definately have the place and will be getting the keys on Friday (Yay)

    POTD?

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.