Monday, 23 February 2009

Bargains and Blog Awards

I am so excited....I am currently waiting, with bated breath, for the door to go!! I'll explain.....

We've not bought any big pieces of furniture yet but we've been looking around and getting prices....bloody hell (sorry Gran) but dining tables are expensive!!! The starting price for a proper wooden table, not one of your wood veneer jobbies, is about £600 and that's just for the table!!! I had given up hope.....until....On Saturday we went into Swindon to get a few bits and pieces for the house....you know....curtains, cushions....that kind of thing (Chris was thrilled!!) and we decided to pop into a charity shop to see what they had. There is a brilliant Sue Ryder shop in The Brunel centre that sometimes has some really great second hand furniture (we've already bought a fab writing bureaux from there) so we decided that we would pop in for a nosey. OMG I am so glad we did!!! They had the most amazing Victorian solid oak dining table with matching chairs and cabinet.....the table is in need of some tlc (I'm planning to sand it down and then try my hand at French Polishing) and the chairs desperately need re-covered but for under £300 for the lot we thought it was a bargain AND the money goes to support a local hospice...even better!!! They are delivering it today....hence the reason that I'm waiting with bated breath for the door to go....tonight we will actually eat our dinner sitting at our dining room table...I can't wait!!! (I'll post some pictures of it once it arrives)

So, I thought I would pop online and catch up with what everyone else has been up to over the weekend and was thrilled to discover two awards waiting for me. One for making it through a preamble from the very funny and talented 'The Accidental Fan' (it wasn't difficult to make it through so I don't really feel I've earned it but I'm thrilled none the less) and the other was this 'Best Blog Thinker' award from the lovely, clever and talented French Fancy. In the words of the person who created it

"This award acknowledges the values that every Blogger displays in their effort to transmit cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values with each message they write. Awards like this have been created with the intention of promoting community among Bloggers. It’s a way to show appreciation and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web.”

I now have to select five blogs to pass this on to but I just can't choose.......so, I'm going to be a rebel and pass it on to everyone on my blog list....I think your all fab!!!

21 comments:

  1. Wow bargain! And great that the money goes to a hospice! Looking forward to seeing pic. Enjoy your dinner:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, bargain. I love them! Thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - a real old wooden table - brilliant! I love those charity shops in the UK.. fabulous!

    And many many thanks for the award... I must have been sleeping when you put me on your blog list. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lane - The furniture came from a kitchen in one of the grand old houses round here. I must ask which one when they deliver it!!

    I would much rather the money went to the hospice rather than a faceless corporation!!

    JJ - It's a stunning table but it really does need some work. I've never tried French Polishing but I'll need to have it finished before the cats come back....don't think cat footprints would look very good on it somehow!!

    Your welcome...you know how much I love your blog!!

    Ladyfi - The charity shops are definately worth having a rummage around...sometimes you find a bargain :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for passing on the honour so generously.

    And yes, I know Swindon well too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. David - You are very welcome...it is well deserved!!

    You probably know Swindon better than me :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey, an honourable mention, a link and an award! That's shut me up. I'd better pass that tip onto OH, she will be very grateful for you achieving what has taken her nigh on 11 years of trying! Thanks C! Coming from you, high praise indeed.

    TAF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Carol. And may your table be... stable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your award, Carol. ;) Yes, decent furniture costs loads. If you can make the investment, though, it could be the last table you ever need to buy (unless you get bored with it later).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful furniture bargain you got. Quality pieces at next to nothing in comparison with how much ordinary chair and table sets cost.I bet you are constantly looking out of the window to see if the van is there yet.

    Congrats on the TAF award - I took it as well. He is very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TAF - LOL....I'm quite sure you won't be quiet for long!!! Tell OH I tried but can't work miracles :-)

    The award is very well deserved...I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog (Thank you French Fancy!!)

    Queenie - You are welcome hon...I hope it cheers you up :-). LOL at Table be stable

    Amy P - It's just soooo expensive it's ridiculous!! I do love the idea of buying something that's looking a bit sad and restoring it to it's former glory...I'll let you know how I get on with it :-)

    French Fancy - I thought it was a bargain!! The cabinet is perfect (the drawers slide in and out like a dream!!), the chairs will be very easy to cover and it's really only the table top that needs saving. It's not here yet (despite the fact that I keep running up and down the stairs every time I hear the slightest noise)

    He is hilarious....I would probably have never found him if you'd not linked to his blog!! (Every so often I like to have a nosey at what my blog friends are reading....I kinda go on the basis that if I like your blog then I'm probably going to like the ones that you read :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely table. I'm looking for a nice second hand bookcase at the moment - so far without any luck. Thanks for the award xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for award - not sure I deserve this - my command of the English language is sadly lacking. Glad you found a table - we downsized two years ago and were shedding furniture by the lorryload!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Helen - It has just arrived and is looking even lovelier than I remembered. (Although it is currently in bits and I'm not strong enough to lift them). I'll take some pics once Chris is home and has helped me build the damn thing!! Good luck with your bookcase hunt....I will keep a look out for you (we're not so far away!!)

    Lindsay - Of course you deserve it!!!

    We got rid of all our furniture when we left the UK to go to Thailand which is why we're having to start again from scratch!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your table, you are clever finding such a brilliant bargain and helping a charity at the same time.

    Thanks for the award, I needed a bit of a cheer up today.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debs - I have to say that both Chris and I felt very good about our purchase!! It was fab sitting at the table and having our dinner last night!!

    You are very welcome :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad it is even lovelier than you remembered. May you have many happy meals together whilst sitting at it.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. French Fancy - Thank you sweetie!! We had a lovely night last night....I cooked dinner whilst Chris set the table, opened a nice bottle of wine and lit the fire. After dinner we sat (please don't laugh) listening to the comedy programmes on radio 4...if was fab!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for visiting my blog.

    Congratulations on the awards and on finding your bargain table and chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done on the awards and thank you for mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cheshire Wife - Your very welcome. I'm very glad I found it :-)

    Thanks...I am so sad...I keep walking past the table and stroking it lovingly (I really need to get out more!!)

    Lily - Thanks hon and your welcome :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.