Thursday, 28 May 2009

I am extremely unhappy!!

A few months back a fellow blogger wrote something in a post that I found very insulting and very disappointing. I wanted to blog about it at the time but knew that a lot of people that comment here also commented on the other blog and I didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable so I decided that the best way of showing my disapproval was just to stop reading their blog and to remove all links.

I received an e-mail yesterday from another blogger to say that I had been mentioned, by name, in this persons most recent post and that I might want to go and have a look. I read the post. It does not paint me in a particularly flattering light and I now feel like I need to defend my actions which I find extremely unfair!!

According to the latest post I stopped reading due to some 'perceived' anti-Scottish sentiment. The original post which offended me basically blamed the entire Scottish population for Britain's current economic woes.

The argument, in a nutshell, was a couple of the main politicians are Scottish so they must have been voted for by the Scottish people therefore it's the entire Scottish population that's to blame!! (Just for your information - The union of Scotland and England comprises of 50 million English and 5 million Scots. The British government has never been determined by the Scottish vote!!). Oh, and it was the Scottish banking system and Scottish bankers that caused all the trouble. (RBS is a subsidiary of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc which actually has over 50 subsidiaries world wide and has no single shareholder controlling it.....it might have Scotland in the title but it's not a Scottish owned company!! Also HBOS is the HALIFAX Bank of Scotland which is, last I heard, south of the border and it was the Halifax, NOT BOS, which was the major lender of now ‘challenging’ mortgages). Last but not least, the post also indicated that all Scots hate the English giving the example that someone had been beaten up in Aberdeen for 'having an English accent'. Given the accuracy of reporting these days couldn't there be a whole host of reasons for this violence (presuming it happened at all) which had nothing to do with accent? Hmmmm, but since it happened in Scotland and the person beaten up was English then it had to be because of the accent didn't it!! I don't doubt that there are some small minded bigots out there (you get them in every country) but to tar an entire population with the same brush...well that's like saying since BNP politicians have been elected in England (there are none in Scotland) the entire English race must be made up of narrow minded bigots!! (which is utter rubbish but can you see why I might have been a bit offended by what was originally written?). As my Dad said at the time 'Substitute the word 'Blacks' for 'Scots', and see how acceptable that might be in an enlightened society'


I am not going to name names but I want to categorically state

I do NOT tolerate racism in any shape or form.

and it does not matter how you dress it up.....

if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is a duck!!!

13 comments:

  1. From a Scot to another Scot, oh yes indeedy, how correct you are Carol, I have had the exact same argument, as if it is my fault Brown is a Scot, or the RBS caused the hole banking system round the world to crash, because it was a Scottish company, the Speaker Michael Martin caused all the chaos in the Commons, because he is Scottish and comes from the Gorbals, ( he wasn't even born anywhere near the Gorbals, but hey, why tell the truth when a lie sounds better ), when you try to explain to these people the truth of the matter, they don't want to hear it, they would rather believe what they want to believe.

    Scots don't hate the English, that is absurd, my partner is English, okay, sometimes he annoys the heck out of me, but I don't turn round and say, " hey you son, you are annoying me because you are English ".

    Look at Andy Murray, great tennis player, probably one of the best we have ever had, when he plays, he is British, as it should be, because he dared to support any team but England in The World Cup, he was castigated, he dared to say he wanted England beaten,it does not matter that his tennis is sublime, now of course the English cannot stand him, I can say hand on heart, I am exactly the same, any team to beat England, it is our way, our bit of fun, The Scotland/England matches, are not matters of life and death, it is a game of football, and Scots will never support the English in that event, yet in golf it does not bother me if an Englishman wins, I support them, so why take all this to heart, I laugh when I hear people say I hope Scotland get beaten, so what, does it matter.

    By the way, no I don't know the woman called Mrs McWhinnie who you met while on holiday in Inverness, nor do I know the man who owns the hotel you stayed in Glasgow, or any of the guests, or the wee man who runs the ice cream shop in Ayr, nor do we run about in kilts, with a piece of shortbread in each hand, our faces painted in blue wode, or eat porridge all day, running about saying Ach aye the noo.

    Carol, just ignore, they are not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to remember that none of us has monopoly on being right - but anyone who thinks HBOS is a Scottish Company is making a good stab at gross stupidity.

    Have a rant, then let it go - writing is good for that.

    Cheer up tomorrow
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you're unhappy honey. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Carol, I did wonder what that was about but didn't know the background.

    What a heartfelt post. Sending hugs too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwwww. I am so sorry you feel this way. I feel caught in the middle as I like you both :( even though neithe rof you ahve tried to discuss it with me personally (thank you) but I do like you both as people even though I don't approve of racism but I can't stop liking someone because of a very misjudged comment. I hope it doesn't ruin our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one thing I have avoided on my blog is politics! I am a great tennis fan and at first did not like Andy Murray as he was a "brat" (not a Scot) - but now he has matured into a superb tennis player and I am following his progress in the French Open.

    Hoping you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you've been hurt. Like DJ I feel a bit in the middle as I like you both. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big hugs to you sweetie. JJx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mum is Scottish and my Dad English.

    As for racism - it must never be tolerated. So good on you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann - It was the way I was portrayed in the persons last post which really annoyed me...it made me sound incredibly petty!! I can be accused of many a thing but petty is something I am most definately not!! (It was the word 'perceived' that did it....Oh, that was like a red rag to a bull!!).

    I don't think all English hate the Scots and I don't think all Scots hate the English...both notions are totally absurd!!

    And the sport thing, which is what is usually mentioned to back up the whole 'Scots hate the English' idea, is just a bit of good natured banter....a bit like calling me a Sweaty Sock (Jock) or Jimmy. (Personally I can't stand football and my theory is give them all a ball so they won't fight over it...but hey, that's just me :-D)

    What do you mean you don't run around in a kilt, a piece of shortbread in each hand with your face painted blue shouting Ach aye the noo? What kind of Scottish person are you??? *grins*

    Mark - I had decided not to comment about it because I didn't want to put any of my blog friends in a difficult position. The latest post mentioned me by name and the wording used made me feel like I had no choice but to state my case. There are ways of saying people have drifted away from reading and commenting on your blog....

    I won't be mentioning this again and will certainly not be drawn into any further debate on the subject. I just wanted to point out that the initial argument was extremely flawed and why I had been offended by it.

    Helen - Thanks hon....I needed them!!

    Lane - The fact that you picked up on it makes me feel a whole lot better about responding the way I have.

    Thanks for the hugs :-) (I was feeling a bit picked on yesterday)

    DJ - Awwww hon, of course it will not ruin our friendship!! The reason I chose not to say anything in the first place was specifically because I didn't want you or Debs (or anyone else for that matter) to be caught in the middle!! I've said my piece now and as far as I am concerned that's the matter finished with.

    I don't hold a grudge so please don't worry about us both being in the same room together...as I said, as far as I am concerned that's the matter finished with :-)

    Lindsay - I tend to stay away from politics as well....it's a bit too contentious!!

    LOL...there is nothing wrong with not liking someone because they are a brat!! It's no good...I'm going to have to admit it....I have absolutely no idea who Andy Murray is!! Should I be hanging my head in shame?

    Debs - I'm so sorry that you feel stuck in the middle :-(. As I said to DJ, I've said my piece now and as far as I am concerned that's the matter finished with. I won't be mentioning it again so I really hope that both you and DJ will still feel happy to visit and comment. I would miss you both terribly if you didn't.

    JJ - You know me....I didn't write that post lightly!! Thanks for the hugs :-)

    Ladyfi - I appreciate the support and I have to say that I feel a lot better for having got that off my chest.

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol,

    I'm so glad you expressed all of that. I know you were torn at the time and you have a good heart and didn't want to hurt anyone.

    But the fact is, there was no question of "perception"... that person said vile things. It's not right to turn a blind eye and say... "well, it's just a little eccentricity on his part". Or, "oh well... I'm not Scottish so he didn't attack me personally, so that's ok". I'm sure Eva thought Adolf was a great guy. I'm reminded of a poem that has stuck with me since primary school...
    "They came first for the communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist,
    And then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist;
    And then they came for the jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a jew;
    And then they came for me, and by that time there was no left to speak."

    There's never any excuse for racism and hatred.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understood your anger, you were treated improperly and scorned.

    Okay I admit it, I do run about with a kilt, a piece of shortbread in each hand with my face painted blue shouting Ach aye the noo?, only problem is all that blue paint on my face, it spoils the effect of my green eyeliner.

    Andy Murray, best, and probably the only decent tennis player born in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janice - It was the implication that somehow I was the one with the problem and that he'd done nothing that really annoyed me!! I really didn't want to respond but after I read that....well, I felt like I had no choice!!

    That's a very powerful poem (I'm not surprised it stayed with you!!) and your absolutely right, there is never any excuse for racism and hatred!!

    Ann - I really appreciated your support!! I was actually quite nervous writing about it (didn't want to start any kind of blog war!!) and your comment really helped :-)

    LOL at spoils the effect of your green eyeliner!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.