Wednesday, 8 July 2009

By popular demand (Recipe and Painting)

Tom Yum Goong (makes enough for four people as a starter or two as a main course)

Ingredients:
  • 12 Prawns (Whole or with tails still attached - you need the shell. Personally I think it's best when you use just the shell as I found it a bit fishy when I used the heads but try it both ways and see what you prefer).
  • 6 Stalks Lemongrass cut into long chunky slices (Fresh is best but you can use dried!!)
  • 8 Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
  • 10 Button Mushrooms quartered
  • 6 Chillies smallish orange and green (you add them in whole)
  • 5 Kaffir Lime Leaves
  • 7 slices Galangal
  • 1 Handful Coriander chopped
  • 4 Coriander stalks chopped fine
  • 1 Spring Onion chopped
  • 2 Tom Yum Stock Cubes
  • 2 pints boiling water
  • Fresh Ginger - 2 fingers worth cut into large slices
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 4 tsp Thai Chilli Paste
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 1 Lime to taste
If your having this as a main course then serve it with a bowl of Jasmine Rice (The Thai's spoon some of the soup onto the rice as they eat) so remember to add the rice to your shopping list. You can buy all the ingredients at most major supermarkets (I got mine in Tesco's but have also spotted the stuff I needed for the recipe in Waitrose and Sainsbury). For your info - I've not seen Tom Yum stock cubes here but I have seen it in a jar as a paste. (I've made the soup using the paste and it was just as lovely so if you can't get the cubes get the paste and follow the instructions on the packet)


Preparation:
Shell and de-vein the prawns, keeping the tails intact. Reserve the heads (if using) and the shells. In a pot, add the boiling water, then add the heads (if using) and shells. Simmer for five minutes. Remove the prawn shells and return the water to the boil. Add the Tom Yum Goong stock cubes followed by the Ginger, Chillies, Lemon Grass, Galangal, Coriander Root, Kaffir Lime Leaf, Salt, Sugar and the Chilli Paste. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the Prawns, Mushrooms and Tomatoes and simmer for a further 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, ladle into bowls and garnish with the Coriander Leaves and Spring Onion.
(Remember to tell your guests that the only things they eat in the soup are the prawns, mushrooms and tomatoes (and the soup obviously!!)).

And to get you all in the mood for Thai.....here is the larger painting I did of Bangkok. It's much more red in real life (don't know why it's so orange in the photos) and it's going to hang above our fireplace in the living room.

17 comments:

  1. Slurp, yum...!

    LOVE the painting - incredibly evocative - and no wonder those wires took you so much time!
    Stunning work, Carol! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolute - It's Moon's family recipe so you can't really get more genuine Thai than that!!

    Awwww, I'm really glad you like it. (The actual telegraph pole looks a bit wonky in the photo...I couldn't get it to photograph straight!!). I'm thinking about doing a Bangkok Blue version but can't decide whether it would work or not!! I shall ponder some more...

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So tasty. I want some now!

    Love the painting, very clever. I can feel the heat from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like the look of your recipe and your painting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debs - It's a fab recipe!! Tangy, spicy, fresh and absolutely yummy :-)

    I'm happier with the larger version...managed to get more wiry detail into it!!

    Amanda - Thank you very much my dear :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks wonderful and surprisingly easy to make. I had to look up galangal so I've learnt something today too!

    Fabulous painting. It deserves certain spot in the living room:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice painting Carol.

    Would love to try this delicous meal, have to take a few things out, Chilli Paste, 6 Chillies, Kaffir Lime Leaves, Lime, don't know what Galangal is, but could be hot, apart from those ingredients, everything looks fine.

    Not quite got over the Szechuan sauce in the meal I had a few weeks ago, remember the tongue was hanging on the floor, now it is just below my chin, so not too bad.

    Oh tell you what, how about you just get me a fish supper, lots of salt and vinegar please, and a plate of garlic mash for afters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Carol
    There isn't much in the way of shops or supermarkets here but we have got a stall selling all things Chinese and an Asian shop too so I guess I'll be able to find Galangal and Tom Yung - can get/have got all the rest.

    The painting is very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've printed this out - Ta loads for putting it up here - but might have to improvise in our little backward corner of Brittany for sonme of the ingredients. Mind you there is a big Asian supermarket in Rennes - oh no, I feel a visit to the best and busiest shopping area in Brittany might be due

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a fantastic picture. You are brill!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that looks completely yummy; I've never made Thai food but I love to eat it and I may have to come back for this recipe. The painting is great - and this is the second time this week I've seen a blogger complain that their photo of something red came out more orange when uploaded... possibly a blogger colour shift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lane - I was surprised how easy it was too!! I always looked at it and thought it would be really hard to make but it's easy and quick and, even better, looks very impressive!!

    Galangal is lovely...very citrusy (They sell it fresh in Thailand and it looks a bit like ginger)

    Ann - Hmmm, not sure how nice it would be without the chilli but you could always give it a go!! Galangal is not spicy in the slightest so you would be fine :-)

    LOL at tongue under your chin :-D

    Pat - Your welcome. I hope you manage to get everything and I look forward to hearing how you get on with it :-)

    Glad you like the painting

    French Fancy - A good excuse to go shopping :-). If you struggle getting any of the ingredients let me know and I'll get them and send them to you!!

    Helen - Awww, that's a lovely thing to say!! I'm all chuffed now :-)

    Sparx - Welcome and thanks for leaving a comment :-). I hope you give the recipe a go...if you like Thai food then you'll not be disappointed with this!!

    Thanks...I had fun painting it (even if I did go a bit cross eyed!!). Hmmm, that could explain why it came out so orange...

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love that glorious painting!

    I'm sure the soup is delicious but I don't like prawns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ladyfi - Thank you honey :-)

    Chris doesn't like prawns either (hates the texture) but he loves the soup...which works for me because it means that I get to eat his share of them :-). You can make it with chicken...cut it up like you would for a stir fry and cook it in the liquid.

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds heavenly, I'm starving now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suburbia - Yes, that's the downside of blogging about food :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Recipe looks and sounds delicious, sadly, in Crete there is none of those important fresh or dried spices and herbs. I love Thai food. My parents stay in Thailand for months every winter.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.