Friday, 24 July 2009

Ok, I shall put you all out of your misery

because I have now been put out of mine!!

I'm not going to be doing a degree any more.

I'm going to be doing

A Masters!!! (OMG, OMG, OMG)

I can't believe I have been accepted!! I am going to be undertaking a MSc in Organisation and Community Development....and at the end of it...not only will I have a Masters I will have a Masters that is endorsed by the England Standards Board for Community Development Work!! (How bloody fantastic is that!!!)

I told you that the meeting at London Met went well!!

Basically, I spent over two hours talking to the Head of the Community Development Department and she told me that, with my experience and current qualifications, she thought I would be much more suited to the Masters Course (She actually told me that she thought there were parts of the degree which I could probably teach!!). Unfortunately she couldn't make the final decision but she gave me the contact details of the guy that runs the course and told me that she would send him an e-mail recommending me.

I got in touch with him on Monday, outlined my work experience and he sent me back and e-mail saying that my experience was great but that he needed me to complete two written exercises before he could make a decision. I had to submit a piece of work that described an important event in my life and what I learned from it and then I had to take a current issue or debate that I had read about, summarise the issue, describe different people's opinions on it, state what my opinion was and why and then say where I got my information and whether I thought that it was accurate and complete. I sent them off on Wednesday afternoon and have been on tender hooks ever since!!

I've just received the e-mail to say that I have been accepted and I'm on cloud nine!! (I think it may be quite some time till I come down!!!)

28 comments:

  1. Very VERY well done, that's a real achievement. I did a Masters and loved it, although it was hard work and there were times I was very tempted by those spam emails that offer to sell you one online! Enjoy your time on that cloud, I've been there too and I know how lovely and comfy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations sweetie. They know they are lucky to have you on their course. Perhaps we'll be working on our PhD at the same time? Even better, perhaps we could share some research!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - fantastic news! Many congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HURRAY! That is huge... very good news indeed. Go celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TAF - I wouldn't go that far!!!

    Queenie - I am very excited and slightly terrified but, as my friend JJ says, you don't get any satisfaction if it's too easy!!

    There is a girl who works for the department that has just completed her Masters and she has actually offered to be my Mentor which I think will be invaluable!!

    DJ - Awwww, that is a lovely thing to say!!

    I didn't know that you were working towards a PhD (you clever lady you!!). I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to have a go at doing that but if I ever do...then of course we could share research :-)

    Kevin - Thank you very much my dear!! (I'm still over the moon!!)

    LadyFi - I sense much huge grinning in my future *Grins*.

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So impressive! Well done you. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! You star! Well done, Ms Clever de le Clogs! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debs - I am totally thrilled!! I still can't quite believe it!!

    Caroline - I have to say that I am feeling rather clever today :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carol, this is fantastic ego-boosting news. And there you were applying for ordinary Bachelor degrees! I am very proud of you and know you are going to do very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. French Fancy - It's just brilliant news isn't it!! I didn't think for a second that I might be able to do a Masters and was really taken aback when she suggested it!!

    I found the exercises really challenging...I had no examples to work from so just had to kind of guess what he was looking for but I did enjoy doing the work.

    It's not going to be easy but I am absolutely determined to do well :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol, I can get on your blog, but cannot comment, not just yours, a few of them, have to say I am so very very happy for you.
    Soon we shall be calling you Dr Carol you know her, the one frae Glesga, who lived in Thailand, came back, likes to get drunk with friends, draws fab pictures, (that even I am beginning to appreciate) envy's other people's food, loves bags and shoes Burns.
    So very happy for you Carol.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ann - I wonder why your having problems commenting!! That's not good...bad blogger!!

    LOL...I'm not sure Dr Carol suits me but thank you so much for saying all those lovely things!!

    I'm a bit happy for me too *grins*

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Brilliant news.

    xxPat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat - It is great news isn't it!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I got on today, doing the happy dance ( dancing like my granny of course )did you celebrate last night, of course she did Ann, did you need to ask.
    Do you have a " heid ".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ann - Yay blogger is working again!!

    We celebrated on Friday night :-). Last night was a bit of a wash out....I think Chris and I both had a 24 hour bug as neither of us was feeling well and lots of time was spent in the toilet!! (I know...too much information!!)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay - what fab news! Very well done but it's no more than you deserve, you clever thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tam - I still can't quite believe it...I think it's still sinking in!!

    Thank you my dear...it's not going to be easy but I'm going to give it my best shot!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's great news - congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suburbia - Thank you very much...I'm thrilled to bits!!

    David - I've still not come down to earth :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH WOW! Well done you. What a boost to the ego and confidence that is. Exciting but scary too I should think. Very best of luck with it.
    CKx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Calico Kate - I was applying for degree courses because I didn't think I had a hope in hell of being accepted onto a Masters course (It's been over 10 years since I last wrote an essay!!). Goes to show what I know eh!!

    Your right, exciting but terrifying :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just got back from my trip and read this news. Yippee!! Fantastic. You'll be so great, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. SueG - Oh I do hope so!! I am slightly worried about the standard of work required!! Still, I guess they wouldn't have accepted me if they thought I wasn't capable of passing!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  25. What absolutely brilliant news. Old clever clogs you!! That work they asked for sounds so daunting to me, but you obviously sailed through. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BT - Thanks hon :-). Erm, I'm really not sure about the sailing through!! The work took me two days and I was about tearing my hair out by the end of it!! It was worth it though :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.