Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Birthday's, Visitors and Getting Oooot and Abooot

Well, we've had a busy old time of it over the last few days and I am now officially knackered!! I had a wonderful birthday (Thank you to everyone that sent messages and e-mails...twas lovely :-D) and thoroughly enjoyed having my Mum staying with us.

I won't give you a blow by blow account (That would take forever!!) so here are the highlights...

I got a birthday cake in the shape of a Dalek (Can you guess who got me that??)

I was taken out to a rather fabulous restaurant in Brokenborough called The Rose and Crown

Chris got me a subscription to 'Delicious' Magazine (which I love so much I even got it delivered to Thailand), a whole load of art things, a very snazzy Top Gear pencil case with which I can impress my fellow Masters Students (and you just know that they will be incredibly impressed!!) and on Saturday he's taking me to Textile Artist Rachel John's studio so that I can get my main present...'extreme' knitting needles and wool (Stop laughing!!).

On the morning of my birthday I got a call from Marissa's brother John (She was our Australian neighbour in Thailand) and we arranged to meet up with him and his parents in Avebury. We meandered round the stones, saw a druid ceremony (which was very odd and seemed to require blokes in dresses....not a good look!!) then sat in the sun sipping beer. When we got back home Chris cooked a wonderful three course Moroccan meal (My mouth is watering just thinking about it...he's a great cook!!)

My Mum and I discovered a new arty place in Cirencester called The New Brewery Arts Centre. OMG I was in heaven!!! I have never seen so many hand crafted, unique things in one place before and, not only can you browse round the shop, you can watch some of the designers at work (Glass blowing, Jewellery being made, stone being sculpututred...fab!!). Look what my Mum bought me....

We visited Tetbury and spent a lovely morning browsing the miriad of Antique shops. I treated myself to a wine holder....it's French, from the 1940's and made out of artillery shells. (What can I say....I like odd things....that's why I married Chris *grins*)

We went to Stonehenge, Woodhenge and Huntingdon Fairly Castle. It rained....my evil Mother nicked my umbrella and then had the cheek to laugh at me when I bought a pac-a-mac thing to keep me dry!! (It did look a bit like an extendable rain mate and I did look completely ridiculous but she didn't have to laugh quite so much!!! *mutters* 'evil umbrella stealing woman')

We visited Malmesbury Abbey Gardens for the first time and I have to say that I was blown away by how beautiful they are!! We had a lovely time (I didn't see any naked gardeners but my Mum did!!) and then went to The Old Bell for afternoon tea!! Dinner was at our local Thai restaurant run by Som and was exactly what we were after!!

Mum left and Jane and Andrew arrived. They are over from Bangkok on holiday at the moment and we managed to find a slot in their tight schedule to meet up. They arrived on Sunday and stayed over....we had such a great night!! Went to the Smoking Dog for dinner....ate too much, drank too much and laughed loads :-D

Yesterday, hangover free (it was a miracle) after they left Chris and I decided to do some exploring. We drove into Gloucestershire and visited Hailes Abbey, a Roman Villa and a Long Barrow (the name of which escapes me at the moment) which was at the top of a ruddy great hill!! I'm not a fan of climbing hills, never mind ruddy great ones, but the views across the countryside were worth it...absolutely stunning!!

So there you have it!! Normal service has been resumed....well, what passes for normal service around here.....

32 comments:

  1. My dear girl, that's not just "a" dalek, that looks to me like The Supreme Controller, Black Dalek!
    Love the wine rack, too. One of these days we'll get over to you with a few bottles for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've been having a great time and an excellent birthday!
    I need to make a note of all the places you visited, so I can visit them too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice - LOL, I had not noticed that before but now you come to mention it....

    I am so going to hold you to that you know!!

    Absolute Vanilla - It has been rather wonderful and I've been spoiled rotten!!

    I love going round old ruins (we get slagged off about it but I don't care!!). We went to see a long barrow near Avebury when Tom was staying and got to see our first ever, real life, crop circle!! (Which we would never have got to see if we weren't sad and liked doing that sort of thing :-D)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to share your birthday with special people and great to go mooching and exploring, too.
    I've got a pac-a-mac thingie; it's bright red and down to my ankles. I wear it when I take T&T a walk in the rain (which is quite often) and it scares the sheep right out of the bleat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a fun packed time you've been having Carol. All that eating - a girl after my own heart!
    CKx
    (Dad said he had got in touch but I will prod him again!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you're back! Like the bottle holder. Good arts centre at Frome too if you ever go that way.

    And all your getting about puts me to shame - though I did go to Devizes today.. Which reminds me of the old joke:

    Why don't they eat boiled potatoes in Wiltshire?
    Because they have Devizes for Chippenham! (To be said in worzel accent)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crikey, that amount of activity would take me a year to get through! Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds as if you had a very boring week then Carol.

    Janice is right, tis the Supreme Black Dalek, oh joy to have a cake such as that, I could not even imagine cutting a slice ( only kidding, and it would be a large slice as well, I know how to exterminate a cake ), love the wine rack, though it looks kind of lonely, is that an empty bottle you shoved in there for effect?.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday. I am well jealous of your Top Gear pencil case - and I am sure it will impress your new masters mates (got to be careful how quickly I say that, I don't want to sound rude lol).

    The card reminds me of one Bobo bought for YS. It had an annoying Dalek voice which said "it is your birthday, celebrate, celebrate, celebrate." The kids loved winding me up with it and I kept trying to lose it behind the kitchen units but the wee devils always found it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday hon. Sorry I missed it. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great time was had by all! (What was your mum's opinion of the naked gardeners?)

    Lots of eating and drinking and laughing - that's good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow I missed your birthday! I am rubbish! You are going to need a year to rest after all that. Sounds like you had fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat - Eating, drinking and browsing round unusual shops is my idea of heaven so I was in my element!!

    LOL at scares the sheep right out of the bleat!! Mine was see-through and only cost £2...it has prompted me to think about getting a proper waterproof jacket!!

    Calico Kate - Yay for foodies :-). I shall keep a look out for his e-mail!!

    Mark - Chris is so not going to like you for telling me that!! (Yay somewhere else to visit!!)

    We're having loads of fun exploring and Chris has been taking some fabulous photos!!

    I've not heard that joke before :-)

    MOB - LOL...I think I may need a year to recover!! (I'm certainly going to have to diet after eating all that food!!)

    Ann - I was bored rigid *grins*

    It was a very yummy cake and I had no problem what-so-ever slicing into it (or eating it for that matter!!). LOL at your lone wine bottle reference....we had kind of drunk most of the wine....it's full again now :-)

    Hullabahoney - You so should be!! It's black with The Stig on it...and it comes with matching pencils, a rubber and a ruler!! PMSL at masters mates :-D

    Hmmm, I think Chris might have bought that for his sister a few years ago...or did she buy it for him....anyway, I know the one you mean (and it's very annoying but does sound quite funny when the battery starts running out)

    JJ - Thank you my dear and don't worry about it :-)

    Ladyfi - I did warn her about the naked gardeners but I think she was still slightly taken aback to actually see one!!

    It is definitely good for the soul :-)

    DJ - You had other, more important, things on your mind :-).

    Looking forward to seeing you soon

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog!!!

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claire - Thank you very much my dear :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yowza! Busy lady - what fun you've had. Thanks so much for sharing it all with us....I enjoyed every minute. And belated Happy, Happiest Birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That all sounds fabulous. I hope the return to 'normal' life isn't too much of a come-down.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tessa - Thank you very much for the birthday wishes!! I've had a lovely time but it's nice to be back to normal again :-).

    Oh, I meant to check....is that print of yours still for sale?

    Queenie - It's not a come down at all!! In fact I think I may have some good 'Arty' news coming :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous time you've had and lots of good booty to prove it. You make me homesick for the UK - all we've got here is Breton dancing :) (well, not quite - she added quickly in case Mr FF gets a tad annoyed at this misrepresentation of Brittany) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. French Fancy - I know...I really have been spoiled rotten!!

    LOL at Breton dancing (I'll not tell Mr FF if you don't!!)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  21. we had kind of drunk most of the wine....it's full again now :-)


    With more empty bottles no doubt!!.

    Breton dancing FF, sounds fun, is that dancing like your granny around your handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you had a fab time Carol :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ann - Sssshhhh, you were not supposed to point that out to anyone!!! *looks around furtively to see if anyone has noticed*

    Amanda - I did but I'm enjoying the recovery time too!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just LOVE that cake. Time for some obvious jokes...

    Mas ti cate! Mas ti cate!

    ReplyDelete
  25. TAF - It's rather wonderful isn't it!! (Actually, that should be it was rather wonderful because, alas, it is no longer!!)

    *Groans at joke*

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you had such a fabulous day, with so many great presents, a fun cake and I especially love the sound of that wine cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Avebury, but Stonehenge leaves me feeling dull.

    Sounds like you have been having a fab time.

    Blu x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Debs - Thank you my dear!! I had a wonderful time!!

    The wine holder is rather fab....my friend told me that I need to hide it from her when she comes over or she might be tempted to pinch it!!

    Blu - I was exactly the same!! It's such a shame that Stonehenge is so commercial and that you can't get anywhere near the stones!! I think it would have a very different feel if you could actually walk amongst the stones!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am too late on the scene to wish you a proper happy birthday, but here's my very best belated attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my! you have been busy. Belated Happy Birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely time you had. And the cake looks great x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Snowbrush - It's never too late :-).

    Cheshire Wife - We've been running around like looneys...it's nice to stop!!

    Helen - The cake was yummy!! Hope you had a lovely day too :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.