Monday, 12 October 2009

Ig Nobel Prizes 2009

For those of you that don't know, the aim of the Ig Nobel awards is to honour achievements that "first make people laugh and then make them think". Each year the awards are presented to the winners by genuine Nobel laureate and this years ceremony was organised by the magazine 'Annals of Improbable Research'.


Here are some of this years winners (These are great!!)

The Ig Nobel Public Health Prize was awarded to Dr Elena Bodnar who designed and produced a bra that, in an emergency, can be converted into two gas masks. She demonstrated her invention and gave one to each of the Nobel laureates as a gift.

The Ig Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to a Swiss research team who did research into whether it is better to be hit over the head with a full or empty bottle of beer. (I kid you not!!)

The Ig Nobel Veterinary Medicine Prize was awarded to Catherine Douglas and Peter Rowlinson of Newcastle University for showing that cows with names give more milk than cows that are nameless.

The Ig Nobel Physics Prize was awarded to a team from Harvard University for analytically determining why pregnant women do not tip over.

The Ig Nobel Literature Prize was awarded to Irelands Police Service for writing and presenting more than 50 traffic tickets to the most frequent driving offender in the country, Prawo Jazdy, who's name in Polish means 'Driving Licence'

and last but not least

The Ig Nobel Mathematics Prize went to the governor of Zimbabwe's Reserve Bank for printing bank notes with such a wide range of denominations.


19 comments:

  1. Funny post. Indeed the Nobel Prize has become a joke. Even those that receive the prize year after year in the fields of biology, chemistry, medicine have not yet found the cure for major diseases: cancer,auto-immune diseseases,influenza, drug addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, reyt made me laugh. Some people have way too much time on there hands and they get awarded for proving it. Still they provided a good laugh though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post, and gave me a much needed laugh after a grim day at work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duta - I'm glad you liked it :-)

    Lily - I so want one of those bra's!! (Does that make me a really sad person?)

    Debs - Awww, sorry to hear that your had a crappy day hon but glad that my post cheered you up...even if it was just a wee bit!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove the Ig Nobel awards, it's not often you see academics displaying their sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Queenie - I just love the fact that they research such random things!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about this last week - such a hoot to have these prizes too! I love the bra gas mask especially...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LadyFi - Hehehe, they just made me giggle and I thought I would blog about them in case anyone had missed them!!

    The bra gas mask is just brilliant isn't it!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bra/mask is ingenious! Some people just spend all their lives for Eureka moments like that. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think my gas mask/bra would cover a head not just a mouth. Honestly - how do they dream these things up (although everyone knows that animals with names are happier :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can claim that my oversized old lady pants can be used as a marqee. How's that for an invention?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Polish driving licence one. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin - I have to take my hat off to the lady that came up with that idea!! I mean seriously, would that have occured to you? Nope, me neither!!

    French Fancy - Oh that didn't half make me laugh!! (Perhaps you could share yours *grins*)

    I know...bonkers isn't it!! I liked the cow thing...aparently the differce is significant!!

    MOB - LOL!! I'm sure you would have to stitch quite a few together before you could make a marqee!!

    Helen - That one made me giggle too!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What qualifications do you need to apply for the job, sounds a good job indeed.

    I too loved the bra gas mask, surely everyone should have one of those, men included.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ann - Hehehe, your an evil woman...because of your comment I now have images of posing pouches in my head!! (eewwww)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  16. eewww indeed, get it out of my head please.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ann - Nope, I am sharing the pain!! *grins*

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny and a little bit sad - I feel sorry for those nameless cows. BFN. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sea Blue Sky - Me too...I hope all farmers read about the research and start naming their herds!! (Apparently the difference in output is staggering!!)

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.