Thursday, 8 October 2009

I think I've made the right choice

I am passionate about the third sector and the main reason I wanted to do this course was because I felt that I needed to learn more about the theory behind the current practices and to be able to look at the desired outcome and have the knowledge to choose the right path to get there (Does that make sense?).

I have good experience in the sector. Whilst in Manchester I worked with 5 Patient and Public Involvement Forums (They looked at the healthcare system from the patients perspective and then worked with the professionals to improve the services), the Community Collective in Salford (This comprised of 16 social enterprise, charity and community groups getting together to undertake meaningful public consultations on behalf of the public sector) as well as winning, designing and delivering on, a 12 week public consultation for the countries 2nd largest cancer hospital. Whilst in Thailand I set up and ran the BWG Welfare Team (Team of five people who researched funding requests, made recommendations to the BWG Committee, distributed the funding and then did the necessary checks), created a 'People Bank' of volunteers to work in charities across Bangkok, sat on the Board for Operation Smile (Charity responsible for providing Cleft lip and Cleft Palate operations to those in remote areas that couldn't afford them) and was involved in setting up tour's for the blind at Bangkok's National Museum. I have always managed to deliver on what has been asked of me but I've always felt that the journey to get there would have been smoother if I had more resources (and by that I mean knowledge of tried and tested methods) at my finger tips.

I'm taking two modules this semester (Management for Working in Communities and Community Development) and two next semester (Organisational Development for Working in Communities and Social Structures and Policies). I had my first lecture/Seminar the other day and already I have learned something about the way I manage projects and approach the management of staff.....which is just as well really since I have to produce an essay in three weeks outlining my strengths and weaknesses in that area!! I had to produce a life line detailing significant points in my life and my emotional reactions to them and then complete a questionnaire of 100 statements grading my response to them (did I completely agree, sometimes feel like that, generally feel like that or completely disagree)...the results were interesting!! (I'm sure I'm going to have a few 'Oh, that's how I do it' moments and also a few 'Oh, I wish I'd known about that method' moments too!!)

I really do think I have made the right choice regarding the course and I already know that I'm going to get a hell of a lot out of it!! (Gosh, things change fast don't they!! How different is this post compared to the last time I blogged about Uni!!). I really had forgotten just how much I love learning!! (Yes, I am aware of how sad that is!!)

On another note, I will try and keep blogging regularly and I will make a point of trying to get round all your blogs too but I might not comment as regularly as I have been. Please don't all abandon me!!

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with your course, Carol. I love learning too, not sad at all! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'm bowled over by all of your achievements. This is definitely the right path for you!

    And don't worry - we won't abandon you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so pleased that it has begun so well - you really sound like you are doing the most suitable lot of courses for your career and I know, absolutely know, that you are going to be a star student.

    I also love learning - it makes you feel alive and the more you squeeze into the brain the better it is for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're right behind you. This is terrific. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love learning, and I am not sad, therefore it cannot be sad to love learning. (Unfortunately that appears to be one of those logical wossnames that isn't logical, but hey, it works for me.) I certainly won't abandon you with all this going on, I do a fair bit of work in third sector and partnership environments so it's all fascinating stuff as far as I'm concerned.

    What does BWG stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, may your enthusiasm grow as you discover more you love about the course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda - Thank you very much :-). (and I'm so glad it's not just me who loves learning!!)

    LadyFi - I have worked with a lot of wonderful people who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to make things happen and to change things for the better!! It's brilliant to be a part of that!!

    Hehe, thank you for not abandoning me...would feel like billy no mates!!

    French Fancy - Oh so am I!! After the introduction I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to do it (I'm still worried about the writing side of things and how I'm going to manage to fit everything in) but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I wasn't quite as daft as I thought I was.(Ha, we'll see how long that lasts!!)

    Your absolutely right about making you feel alive...and it's exciting too!! (I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm going to be boring the pants off Chris will talk of all things community development!!)

    SueG - Awww, thank you...that means more than you know :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Queenie, Hulla - You both managed to sneak in there!!

    Queenie - I'll drink to that!! (actually, I'll drink to most things but you know what I mean :-D). I've always loved learning...unfortunately I grew up in an area where loving learning was definitely not cool and I think that's why I'm a teeny weeny bit sensitive about it!!

    Ooohh, I didn't know you did work for the 3rd sector too!! We should get together...I love hearing about what other people are doing in the sector and swapping experiences!!

    Erm, BWG stands for British Women's Group (although it has also been suggested that it really stands for Bitches Witches and Gouls)

    Hulla - I do hope that's the case..it's easy to put the work in when it's something that excites you isn't it!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A love learning was one of the virtues identified by Richard Seligman - remember that post I did about the good life - so I wouldn't say it is sad at all.

    Good luck

    M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've made the right choice and are enjoying the course so much.

    Of course we won't desert you. Whenever you blog, my link thing at the side of my blog will tell me, then I can read your post. Easypeasy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to hear you feeling so positive and enthusiastic about it x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not remotely sad. 'Education is wasted on the young.' It really is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mark - Yay to Richard Seligman!! I always think the more you learn the more you grow as a person (that sounds really cheesy but that's how I feel)

    Debs - I'm finding it fascinating...each module is made up of people from different courses which means there are lots of different perspectives on each issue/problem.

    I'm so glad :-). I'm just aware that I'm not going to be able to get round everyone as much as I want to!!

    Helen - It's nice to be feeling that way...especially after the introduction!!

    I may at some point be in touch to pick your brains...you have been warned :-)

    JJ - I couldn't agree with you more!! If I had my time over again I would have chosen this path the first time round (and studied more and gone out less)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sea change of moods! Sorry I haven't been around for a while am feeling stretched at the mo. I too have started a new course - Diploma in Creative Writing & Literature with the OU, but also finishing a three part course with Strathclyde Uni. Neither of which are anywhere near like what you are doing but they have both spooked me a wee bit. And to top it off we are going to need to move house! I told B last night that he had better not get 'iller' again.
    Anyway it sounds like you will have a ball on your course. Really hope that the book sales go well, it does look good.
    Given your busy time I do appreciate that you have found time to pop across to my blog and leave a comment. Really not sure about Sloe Brandy!
    CKx

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you are not learning then you are dead!

    That is what is so wonderful about being alive, everyday learn some more.

    Best of luck, and take care Blu x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like to learn new things but I am not so keen on all the essays and so on associated with it in the formal learning situation. Yes, I've got lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carol, so pleased to read your positive thoughts regarding the MA degree course at London Met - my daughter has just started a BA course in Fashion Marketing at London Met, as it happens.

    Your 'week of colour' photos are stunning! Bye for now. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Calico Kate - I feel like I've been on a roller coaster of emotions over the last couple of weeks!! Happily I feel like I've come out the other side!!

    I knew you were doing the Diploma but didn't realise that you were finishing another course as well!! It's not easy to go back to any kind of study after a period of absence is it!! I was totally freaked out by the whole thing (The essay writing is still terrifying the living daylights out of me but I've signed up for a free course designed to teach me what the Uni are looking for so hopefully that will help!!)

    Sorry to hear your having to move house!! Very stressful!!

    Sloe brandy....don't knock it till you've tried it *grins*

    Blu - That is very true!! I do get a buzz from it!!

    Cheshire Wife - I don't think that's lazy at all...in fact I think it's rather sensible to avoid the essay writing!! As I said to Calico Kate, it's that side of things that I'm really worried about!!

    Sea-Blue - She will have a ball!! The Uni has got a very good reputation!!

    I'm glad you liked the photo's :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck with the course and I'm sure you're on the right path. No abandoning going on here I promise!! Looking forward to hearing about it when you can post :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lily - Thanks hon :-). I'm sure I'm on the right path too (although I may be tearing my hair out by the end of it!!)

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.