Monday, 1 March 2010

I have discovered a new love...

but before I tell you that...can someone please tell me where the hell february went? I was full of good blogging intentions but they seem to have gone to pot!! (Must try harder)

Anyway, yes, new love...

My new love is....wait for it....The Fondue (now you didn't expect that did you and before you ask....No, not a cuddly toy in sight :-D)

We had our first one ever the other night and I absolutely loved it!! (I made one about five years ago, in a crappy fondue set, which was lovely for about two minutes till the cheese burnt at the bottom and then it just tasted...well....burnt....so I'm not counting that one!) We have been talking about trying to have a get together with our neighbours for.....oooohh nearly a year now and on Saturday we finally managed it!!

Rhiannon provided the fondue set, bread, mushrooms and a few other bits and pieces for the recipe, Steve and Michelle brought the wine (and numerous bottles of whisky...) and Chris and I provided the venue and bought the cheese. The recipe was stunning...we had Crumbly and Creamy blue cheese mixed together with port and walnuts and it was absolutely dreamy!! (I was so inspired that yesterday I bought a fondue set (Cast Iron and a bargain at £19.99), gel and a cookbook from Amazon....I can't wait till it arrives!). We had an absolute hoot and drank waaaay too much!! We got through two bottles of champers, six bottles of wine and then we went onto the whisky (who's silly idea was that then?).

Rhiannon is only little and can therefore only drink a little....she ended up with her head on the table saying 'I'm fine. I'm still listening but I can't move my head'. She wasn't the only one struggling....I have to admit that I did suffer slightly the following day!!

If any of you are interested...here's the recipe:


Blue Cheese, Port and Walnut Fondue


Ingredients:

· 1 cup tawny port wine

· 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

· 2 tablespoons cornstarch

· 3 cups blue cheese, crumbled (we used three quarters crumbly and 1 quarter creamy)

· 1 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped

· 2 tablespoons sour cream

· Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Method:

In a medium size, heavy bottom sauce pan, bring 2/3 cup of port wine and lemon juice to a simmer. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining port with the cornstarch until smooth and add to the pot. Cook for 1 minute. Once the mixture is quite dense, gradually stir in the cheese. One the cheese is melted, remove from the heart. Add the walnuts and sour cream and incorporate well into the mixture. Season with the sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer to a fondue pot. Service with walnut bread, mushrooms and broccoli.


(It would probably be lovely with sausage or chicken too but Rhi is a vegetarian so we went with the bread, mushrooms and broccoli)

20 comments:

  1. No, I didn't expect that to be the answer. We used to have fondues at university - my favourite (obviously) were the chocolate ones. I do believe that they were all the rage in the 70s!

    (I am studiously ignoring any references to whiskey in memory of one nasty Burns (all) Night.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, yum!! I may have to dust off the old fondue set and give that recipe a go. I made loads of fondues in the '80s (evidently behind the times according to JJ, well no change there then) and loved them, but haven't had one in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful. But is something that's basically on fire a good plan when all that alcohol has been consumed? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound interesting, yes! The girls and I adore fondue, but it's usually the Swiss-cheese-and-white-wine thing with chunks of baguette and steamed vegetables and new potatoes for dipping. This sounds rather delish, to me, at least, not sure if the girls would like it but, it might be perfect at a party! I have one of those warming trays that would keep several 'pots' of fondue fluid... Oooh... you've given me a party idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another one about to search for her old fondue set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds lovely.

    I've only had one fondue and that was about twenty years ago. I don't know if I even have a fondue set here now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is making me hungry! Glad you all enjoyed a lovely evening - and you're not on your own Carol, I don't know what happened to February either. Bfn, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  8. JJ - Well, at least I am not predictable!! I can imagine that a chocolate Fondue would be absolutely yummy (I'm guessing that you just melt the chocolate and then Bob's your Uncle). I also love the idea of doing a Mongolian Hot Pot in it...the recipe book I've ordered has one in it!! (I'm so excited about it's arrival...how sad is that!!)

    Hehehe, that was a very funny and very drunken night!! No, my hangover was nowhere near the scale it was after THAT night!!

    Queenie - Oh you should definitely dust it off and try the recipe!! If you like blue cheese then you will love it...and you end up with a walnutty paste that you can scoop up with the bread...tis gorgeous!

    (I'm always behind the times too so your in good company!)

    Helen - Do you know...that never even occured to me!! Ahhh well, just makes it all the more exciting!!

    Kitty - A Fondue party is a great idea...you could have lots of different ones bubbling away...Ooohhh if you have one can I come??

    Pat - You won't be disappointed when you dig it out!! I'm just astonished it's taken me so long to discover the joys of a Fondue!!

    Debs - I can highly reccomend it...and you can get a set on Amazon for £19.99 *grins*

    DJ - Perhaps we could have a mini one as a starter when your over? I'll have to e-mail you...I'm already planning the menue :-)

    Sea Blue Sky - LOL (If it's any consolation it made my mouth water when I was writing about it!).

    I can't believe the month has passed so fast....I feel like I've not stopped!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to watch my cheese intake due to lack of a gall bladder and now doing weight watchers. I daren't buy a fondue set - I'd use it too much

    enjoy - and don't worry about not being on here as much as you used to. You've got 'stuff', lots of it to do.

    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had two of these many years ago and had the best fun holding diner parties. No more leaving the guests to chat whilst you slog in the kitchen alone. All the work gets done beforehand. I still have one but don't use it. Melted cheese is gooey and fantastic on just about anything!

    I now use Raclette's - look them up on the net. If you like this kind of dining you will love these. They are amazing and although hard work beforehand - the prep can be lengthy but I spread it over a few days - it is the talking point for days after.

    Yeah don't worry about the blogging - real life can be great fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like fondues, but they often give me a stomach ache with all that cheese... OH, by the way, did you know you can do a chocolate fondue in your set? Dip marshmallows and fruit in the chocolate... heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've tried to book a room ont the planned weekend but everything is fully booked!!!!! Horse trials or something.... Email me so we can choose a new date to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to try fondue and this sounds delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooohhh! Carol, your dad has the BEST recipe for Mongolian Hotpot which, believe it or not, you can manage to do in a fondue set!!
    Wafer thin slices of lamb, chicken, beef, whole giant prawns, in fact any kind of meat. You just skewer it (or hold in chopsticks) and cook in a rich Chinesey stock while you sit and chat, then when it's ready you dip it in, well... dips! A variety of sweet, savoury, spicy dips. And at the end of the meal you toss in some noodles and shredded chinese greens, and the stock turns into a terrific soup that you finish the meal off with! I know you'll love it. Only problem is, if you're ever doing it with your dad, and the giant prawn you've been carefully tending in the pot, drops off your skewer just when it's ready to eat... forget it! He harpoons it quicker than you can say "moby dick"! Then says "What? What? I thought that was mine..."

    (btw he's been signed up by "Type M for Murder" http://typem4murder.blogspot.com/ to blog for them every Friday - so now he's forced to blog on a regular basis. Mind you, you're getting as bad as he is these days! I know, I know, I should talk - life just gets in the way sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can't beat good cheese.

    And by the way I have discovered a new love too - it is the book you bought me: The Set Up. It is absolutely brilliant and will feature on my blog soon - though like you I've been absent a lot recently

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes fondue....gorgeous...melted stuff is great...better texture more flavour.

    Oh you've done it now...offIi go...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anything to do with cheese gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  18. French Fancy - Technically I shouldn't be having lots of cheese either since I too am supposed to be trying to lose weight (although I have to admit that it's not going too well!).

    I do find myself wondering how people are getting on...I'm going to have to work something out so that I have time to visit people.

    MOB - I've seen the rackletts and they look just stunning!! Hehehe, I'm so with you about gooey cheese being good with just about anything...we had a fondue last night with cider and spinach and dipped chorizo and apple in it...yum!!

    LadyFi - I saw that you could do chocolate ones when I got the cookbook....they look divine!!

    DJ - Chris and I are going to discuss it today so I shall e-mail you later with some dates :-). It's been too long hon!!

    Lily - Ohh you so should....they are stunning!! (I'm becoming a bit obsessed!)

    Janice - LOL...why am I not surprised he does that! I have to say the recipe sounds fab...any chance you could e-mail it over to me?

    I promise I will blog more once this semester is finished!! I just don't have the time with all the research and reading that needs to be done for the course!!

    Mark - You certainly can't!!

    I have to admit that I read it before sending it to you (I didn't think I would be able to get another copy and didn't think you would mind!). It was wonderful...the language and descriptions....I would kill to be able to write like that! I'm so glad you loved it :-)

    Molly - It's a fondue revival :-).

    Cheshire Wife - I adore cheese too....but I may have to stop eating so many or I'm going to turn into a block of cheese!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow you have a busy schedule must be hard being you.LOVE your background and picks.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.