Wednesday, 16 February 2011

I have a plan.....

So much for all my good blogging intentions eh! Urgh, my last two modules were pretty bloody horrific which is why my poor wee blog (and let's face it....my poor wee life!) has been so neglected!

Honestly, it's one thing to be told that you have to write a 3,500 word essay but it's another thing completely when you discover that the 3,500 word essay is to be written on a topic that was covered in an hour on the very first lecture and none of the recommended reading associated with the module related to what you needed to write about! Seriously, fourteen weeks of teaching and I felt like I knew absolutely nothing about the subject!

The other module, ha, well it lulled you into a false sense of security! Four 1,000 word essays....yep, I can do that! Ahhhh, but it's not just 1,000 words....you need to design and trial a questionnaire....then write 1,000 words on the process (by the time I got to draft 19 of the bloody thing I could have happily set fire to it!), that was followed by a 1,000 word critical analysis of statistical data (OMG that involved a lot of research), a 1,000 word research proposal which will form the basis of my dissertation (so no pressure there then!) and a learning log which involved writing 1,000 words explaining how you went about keeping the log and the actual log itself! The document I handed in was the size of a brick!!! Still, *breathes sigh of relief* that was the last essay of my modules....all six are now done! If I pass (which I will find out in a months time) I will officially have a Postgrad Diploma *crosses fingers*

For my dissertation I am doing a big piece of research around Adults with one or more long-term health conditions who live in Tower Hamlets. NHS Tower Hamlets are doing a strategic review of services and my research will feed the patient perspective into the redesign. The data collection goes live today and I have a plan folks (be afriad...be very afraid!)....I'm going to do the actual data collection for my dissertation three days a week (give or take), spend one day researching and writing it (it's not due till September) and one day is going to be dedicated to blogging and my art stuff. We'll see how it all goes!

I shall pop over and visit you lovely lot over the next few days :-)

18 comments:

  1. SHE LIVES!!!!!!!!!

    k......maybe just barely..... But--

    SHE LIVES!!!!!!!!

    Gotta love essays!
    (I especially love that you're doin' 'em and I'm not!) LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel - LMAO! Your so right about the just barely!!

    Ha, that made me think of Monty Python...

    'Bring out your dead'
    'here's one'
    'I'm not dead'
    'What?'
    'Erm, nothing'
    'I'm not dead'
    'Ere, he says he's not dead'
    'He will be in a minute...he's very ill'
    'I'm getting better'
    'Your not fooling anyone you know'

    *grins*

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have been busy! It's lovely to see you, Carol!

    That's awesome about your diploma (which I have no doubts you will soon receive)! All that hard work will pay off...and think of how you're getting fitness in, too, lifting all that weight of papers :)

    Laughing at the Monty Python :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that's a lot of hard work! Good luck - but remember to live a little too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed for you too - that's a hell of a lot of work to do! Good to see you as always, and I couldn't help but grin at Mel's comment at the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that DOES sound rather head-popping! But it'll all be worth it. See? We're all still here when you pop your head above the essay parapet. You're brill! Go girl, go!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there, bought the T-shirt etc! All the best with it, it will be worth it in the end. Nice to see you pop up again just to give us an update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - she's back. That's good.

    I know what you mean by assignments and college work taking up time though - I have one assignment to go for my degree - April is my deadline.

    Anyhow, pop over and see what's happened at the bike shed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see you back, Carol! I've been worrying about you.....Good luck with your research. Make a copy of your data and keep them a seperate place just to make sure you have them just incase......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back!

    The research for your dissertation sounds very interesting. Look forward to reading more about that xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talon - It's been non bloomin stop but I have to say that it's nice to be back :-) (I've been surprised by how much I missed it)

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed re the diploma...then it will be dissertation and the diploma will convert into a Masters (hopefully!). LOL re lifting weights :-)

    LadyFi - I'm going to have to ....all work and no play makes Carol a dull girl (and we can't have that!)

    Trousers - Thank you my dear (did you find it makes typing kinda tough too? *grins). I'm despirately trying not to get too stressed about the next phase (which I am now at the start of) but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end!

    Lol, yep, she's a cheeky one is that Mel :-)

    TwoMoonsTonight - Awww thanks hon. I was kinda worried that I would blog and vitual tumbleweed would blow past!

    MOB - I think people were starting to wonder whether I had died!! Tis been a good long while since I was here :-).

    Yup, keep telling myself....'It WILL be worth it in the end. It WILL be worth it in the end'

    Mark - LOL...you may regret saying that when I'm boring you rigid will all things dissertation!

    It can be a bit all consuming can't it! I'm ususally pretty good at managing my time to ensure that I can get everything done but this last sememster all that just kind of went out the window! It's been bloody tough...still, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger etc

    I shall pop over in the next couple of days (am at work at the moment and am just taking a quick break)

    Sharon - Awww hon...sorry you've been worried! I've just been up to my eyeballs in all things Uni and have barely had time to breathe!

    LOL, it's backed up on an external hard drive and two thumb drives (paranoid? moi? What ever gave you that idea?)

    Ayak - Thanks sweetie..tis nice to be back (and did you notice...I was actually able to leave a comment on your blog!!).

    Ha, you will so regret saying that you know :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back Carol, haven't you been busy? I have fingers crossed that you pass all 6 of those modules. Bye for now, Lesley. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. More art pleaseeeee!....but good luck with all those words eek!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! You're alive! Good to see you blogging again - sounds like you've been really busy, eep!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds as if they are really making you work for that diploma. You can do it. You are now over half way there.

    I have a plan to blog in the evening, but usually I am too tired, especially after a day at work. I hope that your plan works better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WA HAAAAAY. HELLO. *shouting in case you've gone away again.*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sea Blue Sky - Thank you my dear :-). I've already passed four of them...just waiting to hear about the last two! Will find out in about three weeks and am getting nervous just thinking about it!

    Blu - Urgh, I've not picked up a paint brush in forever!! I'm hoping to spend one day a week working on my art but since my data collection went live I'm not having much luck!

    Talli - I know...my poor wee neglected blog! Really must make more of an effort!

    Cheshire Wife - The best laid plans of mice and men eh (snigger...when I typed that I got it wrong and wrote mince instead of mice...kinds works though don't you think?)

    It's not working out brilliantly so far!

    Jen - *waves like a loon* LOL...I'm still here...not blogging as much as I would like to but still here :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  18. First off...Welcome back! Second off, congratulations on getting through all those papers! I think your dissertation topic is awesome. The world needs more patient-perspective research going into program planning, facilities design, resource allocation, etc, so goodonya! And good luck! - G

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.