Friday, 6 January 2012

This year I will be mostly drawing...

So I have been thinking for a while now that I should really do something that would ensure that I don't let my art fall by the wayside. I did so little last year due to all things Uni and I really missed it! I spoke (Ok, so it was more of a moan) to Chris about it and for my Christmas he bought me a fabulous present...he signed me up to take part in 'The Sketchbook' project which is being run by the Art House Co-op in Brooklyn. The idea is to bring as many artists from across the world together to take part in creating an Art Library. There are a number of categories to choose from, you select one, they send you a small sketchbook which you then have to fill and send back. The sketchbook is then professionally scanned and becomes part of an online digital library, is exhibited in New York and the best bits from all the different sketchbooks become part of a series of limited edition art books. Pretty cool eh! I had a look at the categories and the one that stood out for me was 'Create and Capture' so that's the one I picked and I got to unwrap my blank sketchbook on Christmas day. There really is something quite daunting about all those blank pieces of paper looking at you but I bought a second book and starting making notes and playing about with ideas so I can now start filling the actual book.

THEN

I started pondering what I was going to do with myself once the book was done (which it needs to be by the end of March). I find that, although it makes me very happy, my art always seems to take a backseat to everything else...its the first thing to go when things get manic and actually, given the calming influence it has, it should probably be the last thing to go! I wondered whether trying to discipline myself to do a drawing a day would be a good idea. It could be done anywhere...on a train, waiting for a bus, whilst watching the TV etc and the image doesn't even have to be any good I just have to make sure that I keep practicing (good way to improve my skills). I thought about it and then didn't do anything...the idea was just there...lurking at the back of my mind...until...I went over to the lovely Jennifer's blog (Realia) and discovered that she was taking the bull by the horns and had committed to taking a photograph a day for a year (Her photography is fab and you can find her photography site here). She put me to shame so I decided to join her!

I have now set up Art Is Autobiograhical, which I have backdated to New Year Eve, and I will be posting a drawing a day there. If you are interested please pop over and cheer me on

(You can get there by clicking on the tree pic at the top of this blog and there is a 'follow by e-mail' option on the site for those that want to follow my progress but don't want to have to visit the site every day).

11 comments:

  1. I love your drawings. I'm so glad you're doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who cannot draw to save her life this sounds like a big challenge but I am sure that you are up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue - I think I'm glad I'm doing this...I'll let you know in a few more days :-)

    Cheshire Wife - Its a HUGE challenge and I'm slightly worried that its one that I'm not going to meet! I'm hoping that doing it with others will help through the 'Oh My God why am I doing this' moments :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is cool about the art library, Carol. And you're right - the calming and soothing feeling it gives you should put it near the top of your to-do list. It's amazing how creating something takes us out of our stress. I'll be cheering you on cuz I know you can do it and do it beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talon - You are lovely you know that!

    I'm quite excited about The Sketchbook project. I've never done anything like it so it will be challenging (and hopefully worth it!).

    I find that I go kind of antsy if I don't do anything creative. I'm ok if I'm working on creating a project for work (e.g. I designed the research I did for my Masters so was still creating something) but once the creative part is over I do get a bit...I don't really know how to describe it...odd!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am really pleased you are going to do a lot of drawing this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to do a drawing every day, I'm full of admiration. I want to do this with getting stuff down for my book, but can I find the time.... I'm trying not to beat myself up about it, but the guilt button has been pressed.
    BTW really appreciate your suggestion about the sentence/note keeping to keep me on track great idea. Just gotta find the time to do it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project to be a part of! Well done you and I love those drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DJ - I'm not sure I am :-).

    Fire Byrd - Well, so far so good but it is only day 8! Its not easy finding the time...I'm doing ok so far but I'm not working at the moment..we shall see how I get on once that kicks in! (So don't beat yourself up...tis not easy!)

    The sentence thing worked for me...hope it helps.

    Debs - I think it will be really interesting to see what everyone comes up with! I'm really looking forward to that bit :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa.

    HOLY cow.
    AND you draw.

    I'm envious.......again........

    YES, I peeked.
    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mel - LOL!!

    I thought you knew that I enjoyed putting pencil to paper and having a bit of a scribble!

    C x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so please leave one.